"Ultimate Wave Tahiti"—2010 Best Ocean Sports Film
BLUE's Film Competition in just two seasons has become regarded as the premiere ocean film festival by bringing together the world's finest collection of ocean films. WIth over 1000 films submitted to the festival for judging over the last three years, the iglobal competition has become a rising star on the international film festival circuit.
2012 BLUE Ocean Film Festival Competition Categories
- This category recognizes achievements in the use of 3D technology in ocean related films.
- This category pays tribute to outstanding achievement in the use of animation to convey engaging ocean stories and/or marine conservation information. This category recognizes all forms of animation, including 3D.
- This category honors the best ocean focused program which has aired or is slated to air on broadcast television. The program should effectively advance appreciation, awareness and understanding of the ocean, marine life and/or humanity's inter-connectivity to the seas.
- Children’s Program
- This category recognizes films that effectively relate ocean information to young audiences in an educational, engaging and entertaining way.
- This category recognizes excellence in cinematography within the Ocean environment. The quality and artistry of both underwater and topside cinematography will be evaluated.
- Digital Interactive Campaign
- This award is presented to the most creative and engaging new media/multi-media initiative that leverages interactive technologies to raise awareness and understanding of our ocean. This category includes the use of social media, mobile media, web-based programs, video gaming
- Emerging Filmmaker
- This category is for submissions by non-student emerging filmmakers. Recent graduates, new independents and those with no more than one film credit for a production that has been broadcast or professionally distributed are invited to submit to this category.
- Exploration, Adventure
- This category is for films that effectively portray current adventurous exploits of ocean voyages, deep ocean research expeditions and other activities relevant to ocean discovery, conservation and understanding of new oceanic frontiers.
- Foreign Language Film
- This category recognizes outstanding achievements for ocean related films in a non-English language. However must have English subtitles.
- Innovation and Solutions Film
- This category recognizes the best films that focus on effective SOLUTIONS, INNOVATIONS and new STRATEGIES for achieving positive results in addressing issues threatening the health and sustainability of the ocean, its marine life and/or its ability to support life.
- Issues Awareness
- This category honors films/programs whose primary focus is on issues threatening our ocean's health, sustainability, balance of life and/or ability to provide life support for our planet
- Marine Animal Behavior
- This category recognizes films that excel in capturing the behavior of marine animals and provide an insight into the animal's life, reveal new information or explore an interdependency between species
- Marine & Earth Sciences
- This category recognizes films that are entertaining and effective in increasing the understanding of marine and oceanographic sciences or other scientific disciplines as they relate to the marine environment.
- Monterey County Students
- This category is for films that are created by students while enrolled in a Monterey County, CA school or other type of educational or conservation program located within the County. Includes secondary through college level students. Please submit verification with entry materials. Teachers & Educators Please Note; a special screening & reception will be held for all participating Monterey County students during the festival.
- Narrative Feature
- This category recognizes Narrative Feature Films that share stories in which the ocean, marine animals or other relevant ocean elements play a central role in the story. The films in this category may be character-based or issue driven and should be longer than 40 minutes in length.
- This category is for films produced specifically for use in museums, zoos, parks, aquariums, or other institutional/educational venues that effectively advance awareness and appreciation of the oceans.
- Ocean Music Video
- This category recognizes music videos focusing on the ocean, marine life, an issue affecting the ocean, the underwater world or a related topic such as sailing, surfing, diving, aquarium experience, etc. Think MTV for the Ocean. These films should have good story telling set to original or library music.
- Ocean Sports
- This category recognizes films that focus on sports such as surfing, diving, sailing, scuba, free diving, and swimming or other aquatic based activities and recreation. Films in this category should be entertaining and effective in relating the sport to ocean stewardship and an appreciation of the sea.
- Online (Dot Doc’s)
- This category recognizes the best ocean related video short under 10 minutes in length and available for viewing via web-based platforms. This category will recognize excellence in storytelling, creativity and community building though online media.
- Online Series
- This category recognizes the best digital video shorts series distributed online through web-based or social media platforms. The series should excel in engaging and educating audiences about ocean related topics. Please submit three episodes for evaluation.
- People & the Sea
- This category is for films that communicate the human inter-connectivity to the sea. This category includes cultural, social, economic, spiritual and health connections as well as maritime history, archeology and anthropological perspectives.
- Presenter Lead Program
- This category is awarded to the film program that best utilizes a Host / Presenter to make the production engaging, entertaining and informative.
- Public Service Announcement
- This category recognizes the best Public Service Announcement (PSA) or Commercial Spot that inspires ocean conservation and/or ocean stewardship. Films in this category are typically 30 or 60 seconds in length ; however appropriate productions up to 2:30 minutes may be entered into this category.
- This category is dedicated to Ocean relevant films under 20 minutes in length.
- This Award honors the vital role music and the soundtrack plays in creating a great film that truly engages its viewers. Judges will be looking for excellence in the use of music, narration and mixing quality to achieve an overall effect and cinematic experience. This category recognizes both original scores and sourced music which is creatively and effectively utilized.
- Student Filmmaker
- This category is dedicated to recognizing the achievements of student filmmakers enrolled in a verifiable academic program. Includes both secondary and college level programs. No age restrictions. Proof of student status must be sent in with submission materials.
- Theatrical Documentary
- This category recognizes outstanding work in Theatrical Documentary films that advance appreciation and understanding of the oceans and where distribution is slated for a commercial cinema venue where tickets are sold to the public.