- MONDAY: Students in grades 9-12 hosted journalist and author of 50 Ways to Save the Ocean, David Helvarg.
- TUESDAY: Students in PK3 – Grade 4 celebrated with a very special guest speaker, Michael Fishbach, and his wife Ms. Heather Watrous, co-founders of the Whale Conservancy. Mr. Fischbach has given a TED talk and has spoken to students of all ages about his conservation efforts with whales. Students also participated in marine mammal-themed art stations with Lower School Art Teacher Mrs. Moorefield, learned about humpback whales at reading stations in the library with Mrs. Garrison, and did a hands-on science station with Ms. Watrous. They also viewed award-winning kids BLUE ocean films in the makerspace.
- WEDNESDAY: Upper school students worked with scientists from the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration with the Message in a Buoy / Adopt a Drifter Program The Florida Institute of Oceanography R/V Weatherbird II, a 115-foot, 194-ton vessel. Students will be tracking an ocean drifter with GPS tracker for up to a year to help scientists study ocean circulation and sea surface temperature changes.
- THURSDAY: Since BLUE is dedicated to PROMOTING, HONORING, and SHARING great ocean films, middle and upper school students celebrated the opening of the film festival by attending a film block with question and answer session with filmmakers at the Palladium. The students loved the opportunity to see these award winning films!
- SATURDAY: We had over 20 students and parents help with the Blue Ocean coastal cleanup. We recovered more than 25 bags of trash from the coastal area of Clam Bayou!
Students enjoyed a hands-on look at VR technologies in our VR workshops.
Hands On Science
Students with scientists from the NOAA with the Message in a Buoy / Adopt a Drifter Program
Beach Clean Up
We had over 20 students and parents help with the Blue Ocean coastal cleanup
Latest BLUE Blog Posts
- Message in a Buoy program at BLUE with NOAA
- BLUE Ocean Film Festival 2016 Awards and Honors
- Triton Submarines On Display at BLUE 2016
- #BLUE2016 Brings Oceans To St. Petersburg
- Use #BLUE2016 During BLUE 2016 for Social Impact!
- BLUE 2016 Event & Film Screening Locations
- Download BLUE Ocean Film Festival 2015 press release
- Award-Winning Photographers use images to save the ocean with SeaLegacy
- BLUE Ocean Film Festival 2015 press release
- BLUE Ocean Film Festival Press Release 2015 October 2